Friday, July 16, 2010

Reunited

It was 1 pm and I had just learned that Frog and Rif-Raf were only some 10 miles on up the trail. I quickly tore up toward the trail's Sonora Pass. Passing two day hikers, I happily saluted them and had a quick trail chat. They insisted on giving me some extra power bars and even offered up their water. There are SO many amazing, kind, generous and positive people out here!
I moved on and found myself in snow again. I quickly found myself on a snow bank with no signs of footprints. I spent about an hour tossing about this one small pass area, looking down a snow bank into the valley where I hoped the trail would be. Clouds formed overhead and began to dump hail on me. I put on my awesome green rain jacket, flipped up the hood and stood in the middle of the snow field, munching on one of the power bars I had just been given, determined not to be beaten by the weather. Three other hikers appeared on the far side of the snowfield and we joined up, looking for the trail. As soon as we found it, they stopped for a snack and I tore on. I was so excited I just started running. According to my completely unfounded assessments, I expected to come into the area of my boys by around 6. At 5 I passed two cairns built up just alongside the trail. I was 10 feet past them when I paused to think. I figured I should probably investigate. Sure enough, there in a pretty little glen just off the trail were the boys. The rain eased up, allowing us to recount the adventures of the time we had spent apart.
For the next three days we encountered increasing numbers of mosquitoes, easier terrain, decreasing amounts of snow, and massive fields of flowers, growing in the rich soil at the skirts of uniquely shaped peaks of volcanic and basalt rocks.
We came down through the trees to the shore of Echo Lake where I picked up a resupply package. While I had planned to push on, I was beginning to feel a serious sense of tiredness and drag. I had not washed myself or my clothes in nearly a month, I was still covered in cuts and bruises from previous adventures and my socks were now specifically left/right footed. Frog informed us he had a friend in Truckee who was out of town and had offered up his home as a resting place. None of us were inclined to pass up such an offer. We hiked 18 miles by 2:30 pm and then, through a series of hitches found ourselves blessed with a delicious supper, shower, and real beds!
I have now had two days to get affairs in order, to call REI and figure out a way to trade out my warped pack for a new one, and to contact family and friends. Tomorrow I will hitch back down to Echo Lake and start progressing again. Frog and Rif-Raf may stay around fro another day as Frog has fallen unfortunately ill and Rif-Raf is planning out some mailed resupplies.
Half-way mark, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment