Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hiking friends

This is Bethany's dad giving her first report from the trail. She called this afternoon to report that she has hiked over 110 miles in the past 7 days and is now at Warner Springs. It so happens that seven other through hikers started at about the same time. Two of them are ER nurses (RNs) and one is an EMT. So she has plenty of help with her blisters, which she also has plenty of. She realized she needs a better pair of hiking shoes...

The Mojave desert is getting rain and snow and hail. She has had to pitch a tent midhike to get dry and warm. However the moisture also means the long dormant plants are blossoming and there haven't been long hauls without water.

She is now taking the weekend off from hiking to attend the annual Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off day at Lake Morena. Hopefully she can score some new shoes there.

Kendall

3 comments:

  1. I hope she gets some new shoes also! We were concerned about the shoes she chose. Glad she is hiking with some other people for now! Thank you so much for the update! love, Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  2. All is well, I am here in Warner Springs with many others of my ilk. I am about to go down and soak in the hot springs.
    I am looking into a device called the Spot 2 beacon. cehck it out at www.findmespot.com
    Love you guys!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should get a spot 2 beacon. I checked out the web site some. Sounds like a good idea! I think of you often! Hope you feet get well! Love, Jeannine

    ReplyDelete