Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ready? Set? _ _!!!

After so many months of planning and preparation, the time is actually nigh! The most striking thing about being a day out from departure is the sense of placidity. Up until now I have been dealing with bouts of hyper-reality. For example, a few days ago I was walking in the park and happened to let my mind untether, as I was just watching my feet. I slipped onto the trail without even sensing it. I saw the descriptions I had read and they were made real by my own recollections of similar environments. When I looked up and realized I was in Kansas City it felt like what I would imagine a space travel landing would.

Yesterday I tore up all my guide books into the sections I will need along the trail, purchased that last few odd bits for my pack, and sat down with my parents to review their role in this whole endeavour.
I have been blessed with a truly supportive family. While they may not understand my motivation to undertake this effort (or, as my Granddaddy said, "I understand, I just wonder if YOU do") they have truly come out to support and back me on this. My grandparents drove up from Oklahoma to spend a few days with us. On Sunday night my uncle, aunt and cousins all drove up to wish me well. Those who are unable to visit in person are also very much present in my preparations. EG: When I graduated from High School my other aunt and uncle gave me a very nice Leatherman pocketknife which will be traveling with me. My Grandpa Somerville, though still groggy under post-surgical anesthesia, asked my mother about my departure and travel plans. And truly, the list goes on. For that, I thank you all, you are the reason I am able to do this.
One of my favorite things right now are the pieces of advice which are offered. My uncle advised me to listen to 'that little voice in the back of your head' when dealing with strangers. My mom advised me to keep in regular contact, for my own well being, as well as her own sanity. The man who runs the deli where I used to work told me to 'let the trail tell you where to go' the insurance lady on the phone told me to 'have fun and be safe.' All wise words, which I intend to keep.

As to the hard skills, the planning episode is as done as it will ever be. I have emailed most of you my itinerary and such and have, for myself, reduced and laminated that same information. I weighed my pack and it has a base weight of about 17 lbs, not including consumables (food, fuel, sunscreen; you know, stuff that gets consumed).
I went shopping with Mom last night and picked up food for my first week on the trail as well as enough to pack into a box which I will be mailing to myself at about a week down the trail. I tallied the calories I will get each day and, despite the fact that it seems like quite a lot of food, I am only looking at about 2500 calories a day, at best. I will supplement this once I'm in San Diego by adding some cheese, gorp, olive oil, and other snacky bits. Learning the appropriate food quantities and weights will be a process in evolution. My needs and wants along the trail will change, not only because of caloric needs but also because I am a human and we tend to prefer variety.
I have made and tested my 'Penny Stove' and while mine is not quite as efficient as it might be (it boils a cup of water in 6.5 minutes as opposed 5) it will certainly do the trick.
At this particular moment I don't exactly know what to do with myself. I will probably unpack my bag, write out some pertinent addresses and steal a few fire starter logs from Dad's camping tubs. Don't tell.

I fly out for San Diego tomorrow morning at 7:21. I will be on the trail by the next morning.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will get a map put up on the wall and track her! Jolene gave me the idea. I hope the first few days don't tear her feet up. God bless her! Jeannine

    ReplyDelete