Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Yesterday's Tomorrow

I woke up early this morning with my parents. We breakfasted and they spoke blessings over me. I struck out with such a sense of giddy confidence. It carried me through the ride and I strode into the airport. While I was put out by the slow line to check my bag, I maintained the confidence until I got to the counter and the woman tapped at her computer, looked at my ticket, looked at me.
"You know your plane leaves in four minutes?"
In fact, I did not know this. I had looked at my itinerary a few weeks ago and had been telling everyone I was leaving at 7:21. I had said it so much that I believed myself. In fact, I had been slated to arrive in Denver at that time. Talk about deflating an ego!
She rescheduled me for a 10 am flight to Denver and I was on standby for two very full flights, but assured I would at least be on a 10 pm flight. I took a moment to reel my now flaccid ego back in and regroup my thoughts. I realized this was a lesson I was being taught. The Universe was taking this opportunity, while I was still safely ensconced in societal accouterments, to remind me of a few vital lessons. Always double check yourself. And I think more importantly: Humility.
I reflected on the lesson, glad I was learning it in an airport rather than taking a wrong turn and not realizing it until many miles down the wrong trail. I mulled it over and digested as I waited for my flight out of KC. I mulled some more as I sat in the Denver airport.
I decided I had learned the lesson and began begging God to show me some clemency. I really wanted to be on that 2 pm flight. I would go CRAZY sitting in that airport for another 6-8 hours. I asked in every way I know how. I sat near the desk and listened with dismay as I heard the attendants speak about how FULL the flight was. Jam packed, every seat occupied. No seat reassignments. I sulked for a moment, but caught myself and continued to pray.
At the very last minute, three girls had not arrived to take their seats. I was in! I was THRILLED to be on that plane.
A few hours later I was picking up my bag off the carousel and Scout met me outside the terminal. We quickly found that we had both been Philmont Staff and spent the ride Phil-chatting.
Since then I have spent the evening in their beautiful, and open home. Sharing the space with a dozen odd other hikers. We all supped on a delicious Mexican spread and discussed gear, ambitions, and just the general thrill of the trail.
We truly have come from all over. There are half a dozen Israelis, some New Zealander's who have been doing thru-hikes for years, quite a few North-Easterners, and everything in between. It is a thrilling and affirming starting energy to be in.
Tomorrow morning they are dropping us off at the Mexican Border, and, as the seasoned Australian hiker woman told me, that first step makes all the difference in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bethany, I hope you do double check your self. As I tell my boys when they go off on their adventures, stop and think ! You can have lots of fun just don't kill yourself doing it! I hope That you can find a way to post pictures at few times. Love, Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered a wall map tonight so we can keep track of your progress. Wish I was hiking too, Uncle Dewey

    ReplyDelete